Best bitter #2


Another attempt at my favorite style. I used the #1 best bitter recipe as a starting point. The changes I made this time we're more hop flavor and aroma, less crystal malt overall (10% vs 6.5%) and no crystal 120. Instead of carastan I used simpsons crystal light because that's what I had on hand and is similar in color. I used wlp002 instead of wlp007 because even though they have a similar flavor profile, I get more of the fruitiness I'm looking for from 002.

I also went back to using maris otter instead of golden promise for this 2nd version. That was my first time using golden promise and although I really liked it, I thought it was quite different and more on the sweet side without the breadiness I really enjoy from maris otter which is what I prefer in this style. Last but not least I added some flaked maize because I like it and it's traditional. It's a shame it gets such a bad rap these days, it really does a nice job of providing a little sweetness while also lightening the body.




My word this beer came out good. One of the more drinkable beers I've ever made. Really nice earthy/floral hop character and the bitterness was smooth and just enough to counter the malt. Good ol' classic maris otter flavor with just a little caramel/toffee from the crystal. Nice amount of flaked maize that lent a little sweetness and kept it light.
  • og - 1.043
  • fg - 1.015
  • 3.7% abv
  • 36 ibu
  • 7.4 srm
Recipe
  • 85% maris otter (crisp no. 19 floor malted)
  • 8.5% flaked maize
  • 6.5% simpsons crystal light
  • wlp002 1 liter starter decanted
  • fwh - .75 oz target - 23.5 ibu
  • 10m - 1 oz ekg - 5.3 ibu
  • 0m - 1 oz ekg
  • whirlpool 5m - 2 oz ekg - 3.9 ibu
  • whirlpool 5m - 1 oz fuggles - 1.5 ibu
  • whirlpool 5m - .5 oz target - 1.4 ibu
Water Profile
ca 55 ppm | mg 7 ppm | na 0 ppm | s04 99 ppm | cl 42 ppm

Brew Day 6/25/17
- mashed at 152f for 60m
- boiled for 60m
- pitched at 72f and fermented at 67

Tasting notes 7/29/17
appearance: light copper, off white head sticks around with decent lacing
aroma: fruity, cracker, bread, light earthiness, sweet toffee
taste: bready malts, light caramel/toffee, earthy spicy hops, nice firm bitterness, slight corn sweetness

Next time
A 'cracking' beer, one of my favorites. Not much I would change for next time, maybe try some invert sugar to lower the fg a little. The goldings definitely came through much more in this version but I had to add a lot. I've heard a rumor that the 'cheeky buggers' over in the UK get all the good quality east kent goldings and whatever makes it over to the US is second rate. Not sure if that's true but maybe next time I'll try US goldings to see if they pack a little more of a punch.











Comments

Popular Posts